Sunday, February 10, 2008

Yum!

Ryan and I were watching Everyday Food Saturday morning and the New York guy was making all his chocolate desserts. Yum. This is one of my favorites, I made it a few months ago and now am craving it again. Ryan is not a dessert guy which is a shame because it's one of my favorite things to make. However he is a chocolate lover so once in a while he'll eat what I make if it's chocolate. For some reason though I don't think he tried this last time I made it. His loss. It's a perfect cake for the big V-Day coming up.

Ingredients
Serves 8
6 tablespoons
unsalted butter, plus more for pan
8 ounces bittersweet or semisweet chocolate, finely chopped
6 large eggs, separated
1/2 cup granulated sugar
Confectioners' sugar, for dusting
Sweetened whipped cream, for serving


Directions
Preheat the oven to 275 degrees.with the rack in the center. Butter the bottom and sides of a 9-inch springform pan. Set aside.
Place butter and chocolate in a large heatproof bowl and microwave in 30-second increments, stirring each time, until completely melted. Let cool slightly. Whisk in egg yolks.
In a large bowl, beat egg whites until soft peaks form. Gradually add granulated sugar, and continue beating until glossy stiff peaks form. Whisk 1/4 of the egg whites into the chocolate mixture; then gently fold in remaining egg whites.
Pour batter into the prepared pan, and smooth the top with a rubber spatula. Bake until the cake pulls away from the sides of the pan and is set in the center, 45 to 50 minutes. Cool completely on a wire rack; remove sides of pan. Serve at room temperature, dusted with confectioners’ sugar. Serve with whipped cream, if desired.


For some reason whenever I watch a cooking show, or decorating show for that matter, when they are cooking and they put something in the oven I always think, 'oh man I don't want to have to wait for that to cook (or be decorated) to see how it turns out'. Of coarse seconds later they show the finished product. Does anybody else do that or is it just me.

8 comments:

jen said...

If I get in a baking mood I'll make it. Sounds YUMMY!

Kitty said...

I think Dan may be getting this on Valentines Day as well. Thanks for sharing. It looks yummy. OH, I can't stand waiting for the outcome on those shows either. I'm with you sister girl.

Bridget said...

That chocolate looks great. I know what you mean about instant gratification- waiting just makes it taste that much better or not!

Diana said...

Your title is perfect what else can you say but Yum :)

Michelle said...

That looks too good. I'll have to give it a try.

Brittany said...

Are you sure your name isn't Martha? You make the BEST desserts! Yes. I am sucking up. Did it work??

Anonymous said...

Hmmm, I have all this stuff and should probably make something sweet today...I think we have a winner!

Robyn said...

This looks so good. Thank you for posting the recipe! Will have to try it soon.