
I went to the mall yesterday with the idea to get Ike a 'Build-a-bear' but I just couldn't bring myself to buy it. For one thing the bears clothes cost more than I'd spend on Ike's clothes. The other thing is for the same price I could buy one of these cute bears. Each FEED 5 bear that is sold will provide Plumpy'Nut®, a high nutrient paste, to 5 children under the age of 5 years old through the non-profit organization Industrial Revelation. I also want one of these cute bags that will feed 1 child for a year. That's 60 bucks to feed a child for an entire year, that's like 1 bi-weekly trip to Walmart. They also sell bags like these at Barnes and Noble and Whole Foods as well as other places, check out The Feed Project website.
I also want this book Half The Sky. It's been featured on Oprah a couple of times and shares stories of women around the world overcoming unbearable oppression and turning their life around and becoming powerful educated women. It also shares ideas about how we can help. One thing that intrigues me is how Micro Loans can transform a woman's life. There are a number of things you can do to help women and children in other country through Oprah's website. It ranges from things you can do for Free to $7 to give a girl textbooks for a year and on up. In fact if you want to get Ian a present why not give a $10: Health Services for a Mother and Her Baby. It delivers health services to one mother and her baby, including prenatal and postnatal care, routine checkups, immunizations and safe delivery services. From us Ian is getting being born, which trust me, cost more than $10.
On Oprah she has some suggestions from Heifer International which is one of Ryan and my favorite charities. For $10 to $5000 you can provide animals to 3rd world countries. This way I can buy that goat that Ryan wants but I don't have to feed it everyday or clean up after it. Plus it's a witty way to give a gift, you can buy $10 Bees for someone and tell them you think they are "the bees knees". Or you can buy a single guy some chicks, cause that's what single guys are looking for right. They will also give you a card to present to the person you are buying for so it makes a great gift, especially to me!
There are also some great gift ideas from Product Red that help fight aids.
Oprah's recent show ended with this simple yet profound video from The Girl Effect. Please watch it and if you want to make a donation in my honor or yours I'd be over joyed. And that's what the season is about right, bringing Joy to others.
3 comments:
These are great ideas!
I totally understand your feelings about Build-A-Bear. We have only splurged there once, and guess what, my kids do not even play with what we bought!
I am also passionate about the Utah Food Bank.
You are so generous and kind. What great ideas for this Holiday season.
Awesome. Merry Christmas to you and your family Marj.
Post a Comment