Wednesday, May 20, 2009

No Fun

I got the call today and I have Gestational Diabetes. The thought of not having any sugar and limited carbs for the next 2 months is depressing, but it's only 2 months. I have to go meet with a specialist at the hospital soon to find out exactly what I need to be doing.
If anyone has some good idea's for things I can eat let me know. The nurse said it's basically like being on an Atkins diet. Fun for me!

6 comments:

Riding said...

So, I have been reading more about this for about 30 mins. Babycenter had some great advice, I thought, from real people going through the same thing.

I also skimmed over a few personal blogs of pregnant woman documenting what they ate.

Let me know if you want the links!
I wish I could offer some solidarity, and say, NO MORE SUGAR for me either. I think you can do it, though. I wonder if you can have agave nectar as a sweetener instead.

Maybe making sugary jam is not a good idea, either. Instead, let's have a raw fest!

Sarah Bellum said...

I'm sorry. Because I love you so much I'll eat chocolate for the both of us. I'm pretty selfless when it comes to chocolate.

Atkins means cheese galore, right? Hope so because cheese is almost as good as sugar.

Mocktalk said...

sorry about the gest. diabetes, that can't be fun. But as an experienced Atkins dieter I can tell you that bacon and cream will become your new best friend. Interestingly I didn't lose much weight.

Cate said...

Man that sucks! I failed my first glucose test (like always) but I am so reluctant to take the 3 hour one because I'm afraid that I'll have to give up sugar(and because 3 hours at the lab and 4 shots is never fun...)
If you need some ideas for regular food though, let me know, since I've been cooking Atkin's diet for the last 5 years for Chad and just add in the occasional rice and potatoes for us (and Sees candy :)
Good Luck!

Anonymous said...

I am still bummed for you!

Robyn said...

Stock up on meat and cheese missy! I'm sorry to hear that the verdict wasn't good, but it could be worse. Two months will pass pretty quickly, right?