I can't believe my due date is in 1 week. I had a doctors appointment yesterday and got the same Nurse Practitioner I had the week before who came in and said 'hi I'm (so and so) do you have any questions ok I'm going to listen to the heartbeat'. Note the lack of commas, that's because she didn't pause. If you are on facebook you may have read what happened this week, but to recap.
She comes in has me lay back, as she is checking the heartbeat she says. "I'm going to scrape your membrane today which will probably send you into labor in the next 24 to 48 hours." to which I said 'um really?' "yeah ok if I do this right it will hurt alot." I kind of started freaking out cause this was all in less than a minute. So she about ready to do it and I say to her 'um, I actually don't want the baby to come till next week'. She looked surprised and said, "oh, most women want me to do it. Ok I'll just check your cervix" which I'm at a 2 and 75% effaced like last week. As soon as she was done she said, OK see you next week and left.
That was the entire visit. She didn't even ask me if I had any questions which being a week away you would think I might just. The waiting room was completely empty when I got there and was empty when I left, so there was no reason for her to rush me like that. Then I realized later that she didn't even measure my stomach, which really pisses me off because I have gestational diabetes and I think monitoring the babies size is kind of important. Obviously I'm still fuming about it today. Thankfully I won't have to go back to her.
So here is what I'm hoping will happen next week based on my experience with Ike. I figure I'm going to need to be induced because Ike was 10 days late and still induced. I want to schedule it for Weds. the 22nd. I'm still a little vague on what I'm doing with Ike since my babysitters also want to be in the room when I'm delivering. I'm not really a planner, but I'm getting frustrated that I don't know exactly what's going to happen like what time I'll check in and how long I'll be in labor. I guess I need to just relax and let it happen.
On a happy note, Ryan got me an iPhone so I'm having fun playing and figuring out that. Also I should be able to take pictures and email or post them pretty quickly. I may have to do some practice posts before then.
9 comments:
Good luck to you! Maybe I'll be able to meet the little guy if all goes according to schedule :)
Good thing we pay so much for Insurance to be treated this way. I am sorry to hear about this experience. Certain people of certain professions most definitely need compassion implantations, and better 'bedside' manner.
I am proud of you for being an advocate for your unborn baby, and for yourself.
I will give you a call to see if you are up for the pool.
My friend is due at the same time and she has actually opted to have her baby at home. On her schedule. I hope all goes well. Your pics were great by the way. Do you have a good book club book recommendation?
I can't wait to see another cute replica of Ike.
Oh my goodness I had some catching up to do on your blog! Good luck with your delivery and I did watch the Bill Moyers bit last night- I agree I'm so frustrated about where it's going. And last of all those photos of you in that bikini top are awesome!
Sorry about the impatient Doc - that's how my PA in the other office is like - kind of wacked! At least I switched my OB to another doctor in the office who actually sits down and talks to you... I think Mom is planning to be back to you when you go in labor so hopefully she'll take Ike for you. Collin wants to see the baby being born but I think he'll be a bit too traumatized - plus I'm not going to be in the mood to answer his 20 questions about what's happening...
Let me know how it goes.
Oh man, I'd be so pissed. Isn't there a complaint department? Cheers to you next week!
Miss Pretty,
All my wishes and happy thoughts are with you this week.
Thank you for the lovely birthday surprize. I love them.
hugs hugs hugs,
kat
In all the chaos tonight, I totally forgot to wish you luck with your labor. So, good luck! I'm so sad that I'm going to miss it! At least I will have something really exciting to look forward to when I get back. I can hardly wait to meet the little guy! I'll be praying for you all! Love you!
Post a Comment