

When it comes to food it seems like new rules come out every year. Are eggs good or bad. Which fats raise your HDL and is that good or bad. It's hard to keep track and to try and 'be good'. So for now I'm focusing on trying to eat whole grains, finding natural and organic when I can and cutting sugar (it's a work in progress). On a recent trip to Target I found some natural, cage free, family farmed chicken that was a really great price. It's called Just Bare Chicken. The thing I thought was cool was that you can enter the code on the package and learn what farm it came from and the name of the farmers. I don't know if that makes it better or worse, but I thought about Kevin and Karen while I was eating their little chicken.
Ryan has been reading, and I want to read, Eating Animals by Jonathon Safron Foers. It's about his journey to becoming a vegetarian. I have no desire to become vegetarian or vegan, please, I like cheese. But I am trying to be a little more conscious of where my meat is coming from.
The other author I've been hearing a lot from and need to read more of is Michael Pollin. I've heard him on NPR a lot but he was recently on Oprah. One thing he said was that since we've been on 'this low-fat kick' we've all gotten a lot fatter, interesting. He also said that you can eat junk food as long as you are the one who made it. Well not sure if that's a good idea for me since I'm willing to make cupcakes and cookies everyday. I have been trying to cook more lately. We even started eating dinner at the table which has been really nice. I've even been making home made bread which I found a really easy recipe for.
I've been obsessed with food blogs lately. There are so many good ones out there. If any of you know of ones I may not have heard of let me know.
As Michael Pollin says, 'If it doesn't spoil, don't eat it.'
P.S. I watched this cool show last night on the Sundance Channel called The River Cottage Treatment. It's about this guy in England that has a farm and has people stay with him and teaches them about eating and cooking organic and natural food. It was better than I make it sound. Plus I have fun trying to understand British accents. I think it's a series so try to catch it if you have that channel.
4 comments:
I LOVE cheese too.
Marjorie,
I learned a lot of helpful little tid-bit's from this post. Thank you. I'm so happy you are blogging again. I have missed you.
love and hugs,
Kitty
mark came home looking for that book online one day, must of been from Ryan Reading it. I tried to go vegetarian just to see what it was like for a month. We didn't make but a couple weeks. In the process though we found out that we as well as all three kids really like tofu. Since that discovery we have eaten a lot less meat. Maybe once or sometimes twice a week. That's a lot less than before.
I heard last night that there is a new eating disorder (can't remember the name) where people are so obsessed with eating 'healthy food' that would rather starve than eat something processed :) Not quite there yet bt I'm trying to do better...
Pretty Marjorie,
I'm having a giveaway over on my blog to honor friendship and I don't want you to miss out on it. I know your super busy cooking and all. I told Daniel about this post and how we can eat treats if we make them. He LOVED that.
love and hugs,
Kitty
Post a Comment