Saturday, September 13, 2008

Blockbuster Pass

I have the Blockbuster Pass for 1 month and I don't want to miss anything so I need your help! For anyone who has a life and doesn't watch TV and Movies obsessively, the blockbuster pass allows you to request 3 movies online that get sent to your house then you can trade them in for 3 other movies in the store and new ones will be mailed out to you in 1-2 days. So generally I have 6 movies but I was thinking if I really focus and work hard I could increase that turn around time and have 9 or more at a time, but we'll see.
I use to have the pass but put it on hold after I loss my job, but it renewed automatically after 3 months so I figured I would keep it for a month and catch up on anything I missed. So what did I miss?

I finally saw Penelope and loved it, and also saw Persepolis which is a must see. But I walk around blockbuster and nothing catches my eye. I also want to catch up on any classics, cult or otherwise that I've missed out on.First on my queue was Grey Gardens a 1975 documentary about Edith Bouvier Beale (Jackie O's Aunt) and her daughter Edie who live in a run down mansion in East Hampton's. It's been made into a musical on Broadway and Drew Barrymore is filming a remake of it now. It's a haunting look at wealth gone awry. I quit watching it and returned it before it was over because it was infecting me and reminding me of someone I know, but now I can't get it out of my head and will probably have to rent it again. If you've ever driven by an old run down house that you know someone lives in and wondered what goes on inside, this movie will probably give you a good idea.

So everyone give me suggestions of your new and old favorites, including TV, and I'll see just how much I can get in before the month is out.

8 comments:

annzy said...

okay here is a quick list from looking at my rated movies~
Charlot Grey
North & South ~the last seven minutes makes the series
Sweet Land
Goodbye, Lenin
Mostly Martha
Painted Veil
The Triplets of Belleville
and from looking at my ques~
Paperclips
Russian Ark
Helvetica
Starter for 10
Unknown White Male
Wings of Desire
~I hope this helps~

Shari said...

Marjory I don't think it works like that anymore. not all the way. We had the blockbuster online thing last year and it was just like you said. This year when we signed up They only allow you to get 5 movies from the store, the rest have to be online. IF taht all makes sense. That's how it was with us in Pg as of right now. Back to Movies we watched Charlie Bartlet last night and taht was real good. Tonight we are watching penelope, so will let you know. OR was that the movie I read one time you saw....I can't remember. anyway let me know if its any different, so I make sure we are getting our moneys worth :) last year we rented so many movies in a month. We started to go alphabetical just watch them. We stopped doing that after we saw way too many lame movies.

Robyn said...

I wish I could recommend some movies but I hardly ever see anything myself! It sounds like fun renting a bunch of classics and catching up on films you haven't seen. Just a couple I can think of, are the Elizabeth movies that came out a couple years ago. I would like to see those. ??? Have fun anyway. See you Tues.

Anonymous said...

Just ran across your blog because you mentioned Grey Gardens. Love that you said it "infected" you - welcome to the clan! There's a huge group of us on yahoogroups who have been infected too! (greygardens@yahoogroups.com)

Kelli said...

hi marjorie, this is britt's friend kelli. my guess is that you've seen everything i would recommend, but i like movies so i'm going to list some anyway. :) oh, and one television series that you've probably watched... if not i'd say it's a must: arrested development. i can't ever get it out of my head, makes me laugh so hard. so, some movies:
all wes anderson
annie hall
it happened one night
about a boy
eternal sunshine of the spotless mind
there will be blood
magnolia
some like it hot
no country for old men
raising arizona
juno
adaptation
as good as it gets
lars and the real girl
and on and on. i can't think of anything else at the moment, so i won't take up anymore room here. heh. maybe one of them will work. take care!

Riding said...

Check out: Into the Wild. And if you want you can borrow my first season of Mad Men.

Diana said...

Sorry I rarely see movies now. I wish I had recommendations I'll have to see what other people post.

noelle said...

Grey Gardens is a classic, it's kind of reminds me of the famous quote (at least around our house) "Why are foreign films so foreign?" except, it's not foreign... creepy.
I'd love to make a wrap around for you. :)