Sunday, September 28, 2008

Random Thought - Renegade Kindness

So I was driving by a house that had a bunch of kids bikes on the front lawn and I thought about how easy it would be to steal them, you could sneak up at night and load them in your truck. Then I thought what a rush of adrenaline it must be to steal stuff. Don't worry I'm not in the habit of stealing stuff, it's just how my mind wanders.
Now what if you could get that same rush of adrenaline by doing something good. That's where I came up with the concept for Renegade Kindness. If I had teenagers I would totally get them on board with this idea. I haven't come up with that many ideas. One is going around your neighborhood and taking every ones garbage cans out to the curb for them on garbage day. Or planting tulips bulbs in someones yard so that in the spring they suddenly have lots of flowers. The idea reminded me of when Hannah secretly planted a garden for a lady that was sick. You can even get a rush dropping something nice off at someones house without them knowing. Like adult ding door ditching.

This is probably nothing I'm going to start doing, but I thought I would set the idea out in the universe and see if anyone picks up on it.

7 comments:

Jenna Holm said...

I learned this from my Mom- at least one kind deed a day. Whether it's babysitting my friend's little boy while she goes to a Dr's. appointment or picking up a stray piece of trash off my neighbors lawn. At the end of the day I always ask myself...

jen said...

O.K this is good. You've got me thinking. I'm in! I'm off to do something nice for someone tomorrow! Have you read Star Girl? I want to be a star girl and do random acts of service.

Anonymous said...

You're so right about this. We do live in a world that tends to be a little self-absorbed. You know, the old addage of 'people are thinking alot less about you then they are of themselves'.
I know you have the spirit of Renegade Kindness already. You have proved that to me so many times.

Chowza said...

What a refreshingly great idea. Pay it forward.

Anonymous said...

I think you are so good at the adult ding door ditching- I never catch you.

There really is something about doing these small things that makes a huge difference. Before blogging, I once was on a cupcake spree and made about 75 and took them around to random people (friends, family, library workers, fire station etc) The response was awesome.

Robyn said...

Hey, you never know... watch out Good Mail... here comes Random Kindness.

Good thing you resisted the urge to steal those bikes! What kind of example would that be for Ike?

Kristi said...

Wow, the renegade kindness thing makes being nice actually sound cool. I think you have something here (drops the blowtorch and duct tape). Okay I think I'll give this new notion a try. :)