Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Good work if you can get it

So the last day before my maternity leave I worked on a flyer for my bosses dad's retirement party. It actually turned out pretty good. My boss was impressed and said, 'I didn't know you could do this'. I said, well I do have a degree in design, 'You do?'. Ok I had worked for this company for 3 years, I'm not sure how that information got missed. I guess the fact that I was hired as a temp and they liked me and hired me on full time after about a week, I don't think they even looked at my resume. I didn't really ever bring it up because I had a feeling it would mean more work for me without being compensated so I kept my mouth shut.
Well the cats out and they've put me to work.
I got a phone call Thursday at about noon asking me to come up with a few t-shirt designs for they're 2nd annual Lake Havasu Poker Run. Knowing my work they needed it yesterday and I only work till 4 which meant I had about 4 hours to come up with something. I was still sick and sleep deprived and therefore my creative juices were not at top form. Luckily they said it was ok if I finished on Tuesday which was good because I actually got inspired over the weekend and came up with a decent Idea. My bosses put in his two strippers I mean cents into the design.
They wanted a design for a tank top for the girls. After putting this design together I realized that the cards are both spades so I changed one to hearts which was a pain but worth it. I'm glad I worked so hard to get these done yesterday because the disc with the images is still sitting on my desk waiting to get picked up. Oh well. It's kind of fun to do this stuff and get paid for it. I wish I was better and could get an actually job doing this full time but I'll take what I can get. So far they've had me do a few brochures and of coarse the flyer for the Poker Run.

4 comments:

Michelle said...

I love the designs you came up with, it seems very fitting for your client! I also liked the fabrics on the last post. I also like Amy Butlers stuff. I hope you are feeling better- and I think I'm sitting this one out for Beehive Bazaar. The entry fee is higher and they are taking a higher cut of sales. Since I have to ship my stuff out it cuts into the profit- so I out this time. You'll have to let me know how it goes and what they are selling.

Sarah Bellum said...

Lover, I NEED a nice pair shirt. Pretty please, in pink?

Anonymous said...

These looks good! You have some great skills :)

Brittany said...

I hope they are paying you extra. Those are awesome. I think you could sell the nice pair shirt, I want one too!