Ryan and I went to a concert in Salt Lake last night. We saw Explosions in the Sky. They are an amazing instrumental band that rocks, to say it in a lame way. Most notably they did the music for the movie Friday Night Lights (in which I cried). They hold a special place in our family because it's the music we were listening to when Ike was born. See this post for the story.
So I don't know what happened to 'the scene' in Salt lake. I've only been married for 2 years and I use to live downtown, but I was confused. The only way I can explain the style now is Homeless chic, except they don't look really chic they just look homeless. That mixed in with some early 70's and early 80's. When two people are hugging and you can't tell which is the boy or girl because they are both wearing skinny jeans and hoodies. Guys were either wearing beenies, or a ponytail. I can honestly say there was not one attractive man I saw there, besides my honey of coarse. The girls weren't much better. I'm not saying I'm the queen of class and style, but I am saying I'm glad I'm not single anymore.
If you haven't heard Explosions you should give them a listen they are pretty amazing, especially live. I still don't understand how they make three guitars and a drum sound like that. I have to admit I got a little emotional during the first song thinking about giving birth to my son. Thank you Jason for deciding not to go to the show with Ryan.
11 comments:
Jason will be eternally depressed because of missing this concert. Do me a favor and tell him that they really suck live and he didn't miss out on much.
I'm glad you liked it though.
I always feel so OLD when I go to concerts now because of the kids you were describing.... it is an eye opener for sure.
I don't think the scene has really changed that much, you just went to the dirty kid venue.
I promise, other venues aren't that bad.
I, too, am glad I'm not single anymore. No thanks! Sounds like you had fun! :-)
I totally know what you mean, but i was never that cool ;). I went to a mika show and I felt was in the middle of Urban Outfitters on a bad day. The store is Evan's gatehouse in Orem on State Street.
I've noticed the style you are talking about and it's just not us. We can't and won't go there. We will continue buying our clothes at Target & Old Navy and we will continue being dorks. My kids are always dressed nice though:).
Jason - it was a horribly show you didn't miss a thing.
Sarah - and it was next door to the homeless shelter.
Tamster - we did
Bridget - Thanks I'll have to check it out.
Jen - I will freely admit that Ike dresses better than me
Hey, I lost your e-mail address, so send me an e-mail and I will get that info on how to decorate your blog to you!
just saw them in san diego. great show! those crazy kids. marie.
Glad it was fun- thanks for the video, the music is soothing.
And like we talked about yesterday, I just don't get the whole emo/80's/70's/homeless/slim leg pants/poor look that is so popular right now.
I am never into it so I didn't know that was a style. I have however noticed a lot of skinny jeans on guys and I agree it looks so gross.
Yes my kids dress so much better than I do.
You've made me a convert to Explosions!
Post a Comment